Blurry, I know, but you get the idea
Saturday, November 20, 2010
Yup, I did it
I finally became one of "those" people and ran a race. It started with the intense need to lose weight. Everybody I talk to swears running does the trick, but so far it hasn't happened for me. Terry got me a treadmill for my b-day, and I had a love/hate thing with running. As in, I hated doing it but loved how I felt afterwards. Then I discovered the beauty of disco music, and my routine was forever changed. Running gets easier every time I do it, and I had settled into a nice little routine (2 miles a day, lame I know) when I saw the sign for the Syracuse 5k Turkey Trot. Since a 5k is only 3 miles, I figured "what the hey, I can do that!" So I signed up, saw the route, and then freaked out. I had never run outside before, and being able to see how long the distance is you have to run was terrifying! I almost backed out, but some good friends (and REALLY good runners, like multiple marathons under their belts) encouraged me on (Breanna and Chelsea THANK YOU!!) Maria was also encouraging, telling me she saw a "fun run" where everyone was walking, so then I didn't feel too bad. So I did it and it went WAY better than I thought it would!! I ran the whole thing without walking, and I did it in 35 minutes (I can barely do 25 on the treadmill. Don't know what's up with that). Maria was going to meet me at the finish line but I finished faster than I thought, so she wasn't even there yet. Terry barely got there in time and snapped a quick picture of me. I know all you serious runners are rolling your eyes at me, but this was HUGE for me! I've never run in my life, but I totally get why people do it. And yes, I will do it again :)
Blurry, I know, but you get the idea

Blurry, I know, but you get the idea
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



14 comments:
good job! i am not a runner so i totally think that you rock :) next time will be a half marathon...that's only 10 more miles you can totally do that! lol
HOORAY!!! I am so happy for you, it's the energy from race day all that adrenaline pumps in and now you know you can do another one, an if you ever want to do a 10K I know you can! I think running outside is WAY better than a treadmill (but we all have to run on them sometimes) it's much more of the " ya, I run" feeling than a belt moving below your feet. You rock welcome abroad!
way to go melissa! don't even think it's not a big deal, cuz IT IS a big deal! You have to start somewhere!!
Melissa, that's so awesome!! I totally know what you mean about the hate/love thing for runnig, I feel exactly the same ... but it's does get easier for each time you set your mind on just doing it. Good job!!
Ok, just want to say I just picked up running also. Your first 5k was faster than mine. Running outside is way easier than on a treadmill. I totally suggest a double jogger when it starts to warm up a little, I know UT winters can be rough. I run two miles a day with my girls and they know that if mommy doesn't get her run then she is cranky. Way to go and keep up the good work!
How fun- running is a cheap way to exercise! Congrats!
Can you video-tape your treadmill running to that disco music and post it?
YEAH! Congrats :)I vow to never become one of "those" people too!I don't like to run in front of people with my big knockers a, well, knockin'. I started a spin class that I like. Its in the dark. Even better.
It is a huge deal!! Way to go! A 5k is definitely an accomplishment and I'm so glad you ended up doing it and enjoying it! Can't wait to hear more about it!
awesome! way to go! maybe i'll run next year with ya...maybe
good job! This is awesome! Don't ever down-play your accomplishments, especially when it comes to running.
I too am not a runner at all, so when I ran 8 miles and was pretty stoked about it, I decided to tell the whole world on my blog... unfortunately a girl I know I from high school, is married to a runner who actually wins really big races and she made a sarcastic comment about how 8 miles wasn't a "long run"... hello, I was pissed. 8 miles is long for some people.
So everyone is at their own level, and the fact that you're actually getting out there and doing something is better than most people.
By the way, I think you will realize that running outside is so much better than inside. Use your treadmill through the winter, but get outside in the spring, you'll love it... and you'll get faster because you don't have a "set pace" slowing you down.
Way to go girl!
Yay! I am so happy for you. I was pretty shocked when you called and said you were finished. I knew you would do well, but damn! You rocked it! So I guess since we do everything together I now have to become one of "those" people too. And then we'll have to run a race together cuz we're trins!
Way to go! What a good accomplishment. I think it's amazing that you did that! Pretty soon you'll be addicted - at least that's what they say... ;)
Good for you! It really does get easier each time you do it. I have totally quit because it freaked me and everyone around me out that I ran by myself outside at 5:30 in the morning. Too many weirdo's! I want to try and start up again, thought. Wish me luck. And again, SO awesome for you!
Love your life!!!!
Post a Comment