Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Latest

Evan turned 9 months old today. This is always such a nostalgic "birthday". He's been on this earth for as long as I was pregnant with him. It seems like such a long time to be pregnant, yet having him here physically has gone by so fast. I guess time flies when you're not nauseous and puking, hmmm?



Evan also gets to celebrate his first Christmas! Again, another milestone I cherish. I almost cried as I hung up his stocking. I told Terry I'm tired of the boys growing so fast! I am already dreading when they start school and leave the "nest" (yes, I'll be the mom sobbing her eyes out at the bus stop)
I got the house nice and festive for the boys, and Evan has already managed to smash an ornament on the floor. Gotta applaud his curiosity!!




He also got his "first" haircut ( he got his actual first one a few months ago, but I didn't have the camera, so let's just pretend). Evan was so good. I think the buzzing of the shears put him in a zen-like trance. Love having a mother-in-law/hairstylist!




Deacon got a "big boy" bed (yes, he's wearing safety glasses. why, ummm cause he's a silly boy.) Terry wanted a fun bed, I wanted a traditional bed, but you can see who won that argument (it's a racecar bed). So far Deacon hasn't been thrilled with it. I'm not sure if we kept him in the crib too long, but he never tried to climb out of it so what was our rush? He keeps wanting to go in the crib, but we haven't let him. It's terrifying/hilarious to hear a loud "thud" in the middle of the night, knowing he's fallen out of the bed. Sometimes he just stays on the floor and other times he gets back up and gets in bed. If I had won the argument, the bed would have siderails....


I'm so in love with these two boys. Life is happier and each day is a blessing, but it's bittersweet without my mom. I miss her so much it hurts. I want to hear her laugh at these two silly kids, I want to see her hug and kiss them. I have so many questions for her. I want to know if I did things as a kid that they do now (was I a good napper? did I like solid foods? did I take my diaper off and run around the house naked?) I hope she can see how I try to be like her with my beautiful sons. Didn’t mean to have a downer ending, but the holidays make me weepy for my mom. This is our 6th Christmas without her and it still sucks. Last year I was pregnant and hormonal and cried all day. Hopefully this year will be better with these two silly boys to make us smile.

11 comments:

Jenny said...

When did our kids decide it was okay to grow up?? Deacon looks so big in his big boy race car bed! Funny that he wants to be in the crib. And evan- 9 months! Holy cow. Crazy talk. I know I'll blink and a year from now my in utero baby will be 9 months too.

I'm sorry about christmas time being hard to not have your mom here :( I'm here if you ever need anything! Love you.

Liz said...

I love having kids at Christmas time. Claire loves to look at the Christmas lights. Your boys are so cute. they are starting to look similar. Isn't it time to start on another one (hopefully a girl?!

cheeks said...

hey i'm lovin your family pic! So cute! your boys are darling....and silly! i love that about kids! i don't blame you for not putting deacon into a bed earlier...i'm hoping emri's big thighs keep her "grounded" to her matress for a while still! i don't blame you about the holidays. i'm sure it's hard without your mom, holiday or not. i'm sure she's with you in spirit though! you're such a cute mom! i know you make her proud!

chelsea said...

It is so hard and you are amazing! Your boys are so cute and you know your mom is watching you, and is very proud of the mother you have become! Even knowing all of this, i I know it still hurts.

cold cocoa said...

Sam is in a bunk bed (we started when he was a little over 2) and he falls out all the time. He stays asleep though, and we have a good carpet pad! I should buy a rail but I keep thinking he'll figure it out...

I am sure your Mom is aware of you and her grandkids! I can only imagine the extreme sadness you feel with her gone. But it seems like your Mom would make sure she doesn't miss the good stuff in you and your siblings' lives.

Hope this season is happy for you all!

The Obergs said...

oh wow, I'm super envious of your beautiful house. I love Deacon's bed! I've ordered Hazel's and Taylor didn't even have a say in it (it's traditional) hahaha. I too can't believe how fast your kids are growing up. I love your family picture at the top, both of the boys look so old!

Good luck with the holidays. I totally understand why you miss your mom around christmas. I can only imagine how proud she is of you and your sweet family.

Maria said...

"I sleep in racecar, do you?" Kirk VanHouten

Lol, classic..

Anyhoo, loved the post til you went all super-sad. Thanks for that. Evan looks so stinking cute in his bear chair. My arms are so sore from holding him on Friday. He is definitely growing up too fast.

I love how Deacon put me down for a nap in his new bed. He was really cute about. "Shhh, asleep!" He even walked backwards out of the room to make sure I wasn't faking.

I think you are an amazing mom. I am so impressed with you and Terry as parents. Deacon and Evan are so mellow and smart! Deacon especially is so well-mannered and he's not bratty in any way. You should do something about Evan's drooling though...

Plus, they're cute and I'm sure Mom is telling everyone she meets that those two cuties are her grandbabies. Everyone else is always pointing them out and fawning over them.

Candace Thomas said...

Awww you are so sweet! And such an awesome mom! Btw, I got your message on my blog about the giveaway...I will still get you one since you were having issues, but you did everything:) Send me an email with your address and what one you want and I will get it to you! info@minkycouture.com

Mary Ann said...

I still love your life, even with it's hardships. Your family is so wonderful. I know you are cherishing each minute you have with them. I hope your lovely tree survives the season! Love ya!

Toni said...

Jeez Maria, way to make me cry, too! I'm so sorry that your mom isn't around. I can only imagine how hard that must be.

On a lighter note, that's so exciting about the transition to the big boy bed! Did you just have two cribs then? Hopefully he'll start getting used to it soon, and stop falling off.

kalie said...

They're so big! I can't believe it. I want to get together again soon! Kevin has service in January, but maybe in February we can find a weekend to get together. I love this post, especially what you wrote at the end. You are a great mom and you make me want to be better. :)