Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Still alive

All I can say is wow. What a crazy couple of weeks!!  Let me explain. I know the human body is an amazing thing, but when things go wrong, they go way wrong! I woke up a couple of weeks ago feelin’ fine, then went to meet my sis-in-law at the Treehouse for a playdate with the kiddies. By the time I got in the car and and started driving, I knew something was wrong. I was crampy and sweaty but thought it would go away. I only lasted 30 minutes at the Treehouse and had to head home because I felt so ill. My sis-in-law Jenny was worried sick!! I thought I could make it home, but it was not to be. I guess I should feel lucky that there was a wreck on the freeway, which shut it down to a standstill, thus making it impossible for me to drive home. I was trying to exit the freeway, but I was so lightheaded and dizzy that I thought I might pass out. I wasn’t sure if I should flag down another driver (yeah it was that bad) or just pull over when I started puking in the car. I felt a little better and rolled down the windows for some ice cold winter air to perk me up. That helped for about 2 minutes when it happened again!! By now I’m freaking out. My car is full of puke, I have Deacon with me and I can barely hold my head up to drive. I make to the ER, where they tell me they aren’t sure what’s going on, so they pumped me full of morphine and sent me home. The next day the pain has localized to the lower right side, and I can barely move. Thank goodness for good family members that took Deacon so I could rest! By Friday night my appendix had ruptured (unbeknownst to me) and I was in some serious pain. The next morning my sis took me to another ER where they wasted no time figuring out what was wrong. I was having contractions like crazy, had a temperature of 104, and was in serious pain! They quickly figured out it was my appendix and I was rushed to surgery. 6 days later (yes, 6!!) I finally got to go home! I knew appendicitis could be serious, but I didn’t realize how serious it was when it ruptures AND you’re 8 months pregnant. Baby Evan was a champ during the whole ordeal, too. Thank goodness for awesome doctors and stellar nurses!! Can I just say that Mckay-Dee hospital rocks?! Please go to there if you are ever sick. They are amazing! They care so much for the patients and take so many precautions to make sure everything is okay (not that I’m excited to go there again in 6 weeks to have a baby, but at least I will already know all the nurses!) I’m still in some pain, but every day I get better and better. Thanks so much to all my family, especially Jenny for coming to the ER to take Deacon, and Maria and Tammy for dropping everything to watch Deacon all day. Thanks to Kristy for driving me to the ER for the second time and to all my family for the food, flowers and visits! And especially to my precious pookie Terry for turning into Mr. Mom. He took over the whole household while I was sick and did such a  great job! He made sure Deacon was fed and bathed and in good hands, and stayed with me in the hospital every second that he could AND still worked! (Do you know how uncomfortable it is to sleep over at the hospital and go to work the next day? Just ask Terry)I love you so much!! Can’t wait for baby Evan to get here and have everything get back to normal!

20 comments:

Amber said...

Wow! What an ordeal. I can't believe that you had to deal with all of that on top of being pregnant. I am glad to hear that you are getting better.

Stacy Risenmay said...

You are amazing!!! I am so glad that everything is ok now. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes off with out a hitch :)

cold cocoa said...

That sounds horrific! I wonder why your appendix chose now to be irate? Why do some people's appendixes go haywire and some don't? Anyway, those questions aren't that important- just glad it turned out the way it did, with you and baby coming out victorious.

Jenny said...

SOOO glad you're alive and well! We can't wait for baby Evan to come :) and we really loved playing with Deacon and are happy to anytime!

Mary Ann said...

I am so happy we live in the age of modern medicine!!! I am glad you are ok. I cannot imagine the horriffic time you had. I am sure you were out of your mind. Family rocks! I hope the delivery goes smoothly and that there is no residual enamel anomolies from your high fever ha ha ha just teasing!!

cheeks said...

melissa, i'm so glad you are ok! that sounds so scary...all of it. i can't believe you were on the freeway when it all happened. it really is a blessing you were at a standstill. i'm glad evan was such a trooper. you must be giving him a cozy little home in there! props to terry for rising to the occasion! what a job...on top of his job! good luck with everything.....although, i think i'm safe to say that when evan comes things might not feel so " back to normal!"

Pieces of Us said...

We are all SOO glad you and the baby are okay. Lots of prayers were definitely answered that week!

The Obergs said...

oh geez Melissa, I don't even know what to say. This sounds like one of the worst experiences to ever go through without being 8 months pregnant, but to add the anxiety of being with child makes it that much more scary, traumatic, exhausting, etc... I'm so sorry that you had to go through this. What a wonderful family you have to help you through. Get better soon!

Karly said...

I'm so glad you and the baby are okay!!! Brandon told me you had been in the hospital (I guess he saw it on facebook) but didn't know why . . .

Toni said...

I'm SO glad you're doing better, Melissa! You poor thing!! I can't imagine feeling so awful and puking in the car. You're so lucky to have family and good friends so close!

Melissa said...

OH MY HECK! I was totally having a anxiety attack just reading your post! You poor thing! You have been through so much! Pregnancy is hard enough...then to have all this on top of it! You are a real trooper. Glad your family was able to be there for you! Hope you get feeling better soon...but maybe that won't be until after Evan comes and you can move and breathe again - ahhh - 8 months pregnant...you're so close!

Colette said...

I can't begin to imagine how painful that would have been and then to have to be in the hospital for 6 days! I hate hospitals! I'm so glad you and the baby are doing well. Good luck with the delivery!

Noomi said...

Melissa, I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better and that everything worked out in the end!!! Take care:)

Kim and Dustin Mayhew said...

I can't even imagine what you just had to go through. You are so tough!! One of my biggest fears is having to puke in the car. I am glad everything is okay now though. Your family is the best!

Ashlee said...

I am so glad you are okay. I have been really sick, twice in the past ten years, and I will tell you what I would rather be broke and not the street :) then be hospitalized and so sick you canot do anything! I am so glad you are feeling better! One thing I have learned is when I tell someone something is wrong I @#$%-well mean it! lol

Maria said...

I too am so glad you're better! It was a joy to watch Deacon and help take care of you, but it was not so much fun worrying about you. The next time you are in the hospital it will be much better because cutie-pie Evan will be joining us too!

Monica said...

Holy cow! You are a trooper! I am glad everything went smoothly and your baby fine! AND that you didn't get into a wreak! scary!!!

Candace Thomas said...

Oh dear! Where the heck have I been. I finally get on to blog and realize you have updated and THIS is what I find. I am so glad you and the babe are ok. But I feel bad I didn't know! I would have taken Deacon in a heartbeat or come to cook/clean (you know Terry would have taken me up on that)!

BreAnna said...

So thanks for hoarders, I honestly have now watched every single episode they have on demand (which is like 7) it is like watching a train wreck and I can't look away!

hilary said...

wow, so glad to hear that you are doing well now! i read maria's blog and knew that your appendix had ruptured. i would be so scared if that happened to me while i was pregnant! seriously, glad to hear everything is ok now. :)