Sunday, February 6, 2011

My happy place

I've been meaning to do this post for a while. You know those days when you get really stressed or frazzled? And your mind just automatically goes to your happy place? The place where you have great memories and experiences, and you wish you could teleport yourself there for a few minutes a day? This is my happy place.





It's my Grandpa's house. Nothing but good happens here. It's in the country, it's quiet and peaceful. When I go here I am happy. The leaves on the trees make the most beautiful rustling sound when the wind blows. When I was little, I used to sleepover here, and in the morning you can hear the train go by. We always eat the best food here, and have the best conversations. (Plus, Santa always stops by on Christmas Eve!) We lost Grandma 7 years ago this June, and it hasn't quite been the same, but Grandpa is still going strong, and the house is as warm and inviting as ever. I'm so glad I have grandparents that truly lived up to the word "grandparents". You know, the kind that always have cookies and ice cream available at a moments notice? The ones that always had the good cereal that my parents would never buy? The ones that always came to Grandparents Day in elementary school? Those are those grandparents I have, and I love them.


The church across the street


Looking from the church (the house is hidden in the trees)

11 comments:

cheeks said...

i love all the pics of your happy place! it really does look wonderful! i love that you mentioned the treats....my grandma brklacich ALWAYS has icecream in the freezer and it's the first thing she offers when you walk in the door! gotta love grandparents!

cold cocoa said...

I know- it's good to have a happy place! Whenever I'm getting shots or a physical...I usually go to a beach though. I'm not sure why, other than I thought that is supposed to be everyone's happy place! I should try my Grandparents house next time too- they have been gone a long time now but they were perfect grandparents to me! How cool you documented it. (-:

Jenny said...

That place looks so peaceful! Sounds like wonderful memories too.

chelsea said...

Oh I'm in love with that house! It looks so cozy tucked in the trees... Grandparents are so great!

Pieces of Us said...

i want to go there! it looks so calming and is beautiful!

Mary Ann said...

What an ideal happy place! I miss my grandparents. I love that your grandparents had the good cereal also! Mine did too. That brings back good memories. aawwww happy places!!!!

The Obergs said...

I love this post! I love the vignette around your pictures because it makes them actually feel like a dream.

Your grandparents sound lovely. Mine were (are) pretty great too... especially because of all the good treats. The best part about it, is that my and Taylor's parents are those kind of grandparents to Hazel. I seriously couldn't think of better grandparents and are totally grateful that my kids will have the same kinds of memories that you do.

BreAnna said...

There is just something about being away from "it all"

ps I just read your comment on Jami's blog about a mop, I love you for hell's sake!

Maria said...

Aww, precious! I never thought of G & G's place as my happy place, but I guess I'm there so often that I don't find occasion to miss it. I miss that cookie jar so much! I remember being so excited to run in and get a cookie and then an otter pop from the deep freeze.

Remember how they always had special treats for us at Halloween? The neighbor kids got Tootsie Roll suckers, but Grammy and Gramps made a special bag of homemade treats for us. Good times. Love the pics!

Lacey Loo said...

I love your happy place. mine is not as pretty. i go to my grandma's grave. i just feel closer to her.

Noomi said...

I love your grandpa's house too!