Monday, September 6, 2010

Onion Days

Every Labor Day, my good ‘ol hometown of Payson celebrates Onion Days (yeah, it’s kind of a silly name, but we grow great onions!). I have fond memories of going to the parade and carnival as a kid, so naturally I had to take the boys.

First we tried out the slip ‘n’ slide that Grandpa Nelson gave Deacon (it was a hit!)

IMG_4238IMG_4242

Then we headed to Spanish Fork for Aunt Gwen’s amazing cooking, and some trampoline jumping

IMG_4247IMG_4249

We spent the night at my dad’s, and woke up to this (proof indeed that pigs can fly)

IMG_4252

We waited patiently for the parade to start

IMG_4254

Aunt Karel helps Evan avoid the ear-splitting sound of the fire engine horn

IMG_4255

Deacon actually sat still for the whole parade!

IMG_4258

And this is just cute :)

IMG_4259

The famous Payson marching band

IMG_4260

And the famous Smoky Bear (I was politely informed by Maria that it’s “Smokey Bear” and not Smokey “the” Bear. Who knew?)

IMG_4265

Got snubbed by Jason Chaffetz

IMG_4268

And the best part….a Delorean!!

IMG_4274

Deacon practiced his cup stacking skills at lunch, and reminded us how good he is at it by saying ta-da every time he stacked them

IMG_4276

And finally the carnival rides!! Deacon absolutely loved all the rides and had a melt down when they stopped. A couple of the carnys even gave him free rides!

IMG_4303 IMG_4306 IMG_4283

Ignore my insane giggling, but I think I was having more fun than Deacon!


Good ol’ carnys, always there to lend a helping hand

IMG_4284 IMG_4292 IMG_4301

Apologies for the long post, but it was an awesome day!

10 comments:

Jenny said...

how fun! i'd love to go to a smaller town carnival, because north ogden and brigham's have gotten craaazay...

jed is so jealous of the delorean

BreAnna said...

I too did not know it was Smokey Bear and not "the" it looks like a great place to take kids silly name and all!

kalie said...

Are you kidding? That looks so darn fun!

Toni said...

You're so brave(or I'm so paranoid!) I had a hard time letting Jack ride rides by himself like that, just a few months ago! I was afraid he'd fall out or something. Looks like Deacon had lots of fun!

Too bad we missed seeing everyone this weekend. Sounds like it was a great time!

P.S. I thought it was Smokey "the" Bear, too!

cold cocoa said...

Ha ha! You allowed a carny to manhandle your child? Brave woman. And it's nice of you to say they gave you free rides, when in fact they were just too stoned to know when to stop the ride or couldn't find the right button because they were all a blur.

Kim and Dustin Mayhew said...

Man, I'm so upset I missed it this year, it just might be the first time ever. I took the time off work and everything but we found out at the last minute that Dustin's brother was blessing his baby so we had to stay up here, DARN! Looks like it was a lot of fun, as usual.

Maria said...

That was seriously so much fun watching that little munchkin on those rides! Your pictures turned out way better than mine. I was really nervous too letting Deac go on the rides, but he did fine. I think he was pretty bummed at the end when he finally figured out that the steering wheels don't actually work.

The Obergs said...

don't apologize, the pictures are great. Every year you post about onion days I think about how much I want to go, especially now that I know "Smokey Bear" was there... hahaha

Mary Ann said...

I love it! How great is being a mom? And taking them to a parade and carnival rides and clapping when they say ta da a hundred times. I love it!

The Wettstein Family said...

I had no idea Payson was such a happening place! Carnys and everything!